Earlier this month, The Huffington Post published an article that highlighted how much damage Trumpcare could inflict on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Instead of protecting these programs as he promised during his campaign, the American Health Care Act that President Trump is backing would gut Medicaid and raid Medicare. This move would hurt older Americans as well as people who are unable to work because of disability, including:
- Cutting Medicare funding by $117.3 billion over the next 10 years
- Potentially eliminating the long-term care protections that Medicaid provides to the elderly and people with disabilities
- Slashing Medicaid funding by $880 billion over the next 10 years
- Doing away with the protections that Medicaid provides people with disabilities and seniors, including placing a per enrollee cap on federal funding
- Setting up even more cuts to Medicaid and Medicare funding in the future
If Trumpcare becomes law, these changes could just be the tip of the iceberg, which would be very bad news for older Americans and the disabled.
Can I Qualify for Medicare or Medicaid If I Am Receiving Disability Benefits?
In the video below, Tulsa disability lawyer Steve Troutman discusses how people can receive both Medicaid or Medicare and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).