How Do You Update Your Name for Social Security?

Do you collect Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)? Were you recently married? Have you gone through a life event that has resulted in a name change?  Photo of Social Security cards

If you have, you should know that changing your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) is a fairly easy process. We bring this up because June usually kicks off wedding season! To change your name on file with the agency, you need to apply for a replacement Social Security card reflecting the change.

You can do this by visiting your local SSA field office with identifying information, which can include your current Social Security number, an earnings statement, driver’s license and/or birth certificate.

Additionally, if you have moved recently, you can change your address online using this site. Typically, it takes about 10 business days from the date of a name change request before someone receives a new card.

Remember, changing your name and keeping your personal information up to date with the SSA is incredibly important. The failure to do so could result in delays with processing a claim or receiving benefits in the future.

Our Social Security Disability Attorneys Will Fight For You

We enjoy providing our readers with tips when it comes to the Social Security process! For more than 20 years, our attorneys have worked hard for people in the Tulsa-area when it comes to obtaining SSDI. Any information that we can provide that helps speed up the appeals or application process is something that we enjoy sharing.

To contact us, you can utilize the number above or fill out the form located on the side of this page. Social Security law is all we do.

Troutman & Troutman, P.C. – Tulsa Social Security disability attorneys


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *