How Can I Replace a Lost Social Security Card?

Have you lost or misplaced your Social Security card? You should know that you could always request a replacement from the Social Security Administration (SSA). Photo of Social Security cards

Unfortunately, you cannot just do this over the phone or online. You must visit your local Social Security field office or do it through the mail. In order to obtain a new card, you must be able to provide the SSA with identifying documents including a U.S. driver’s license or a state-issued identification card. Additionally, you may be able to use your passport.

In addition to these items, you may want to bring a birth certificate, medical records or school identification to verify your identity. This is especially true if you are seeking a replacement card for a child who may not have a license yet.

To find a complete list of documents that are accepted to obtain a replacement Social Security card, you can visit the SSA’s website by clicking here.

Let Our Tulsa Social Security Disability Attorneys Help You

We like to share useful information with readers involving the SSA. Our attorneys understand how Social Security cards are now used for employment and education purposes, and how they can end up being easily lost or misplaced. If you do lose your card, it may not be a bad idea to check your credit reports, to ensure that someone else did not use it to participate in identity theft.

If you need assistance with a Social Security application or appeal, contact our Tulsa SSDI attorneys today. For more information about the Social Security Disability Insurance process, you can visit our FAQ page.

Troutman & Troutman, P.C. – Tulsa Social Security disability attorneys

2 Responses to How Can I Replace a Lost Social Security Card?

  1. lynn nicole frederick says:

    i need to change the adress the social cecurity card will go to and have another one sent the first one didn’t make it.

    • Steve says:

      You should probably gather your current IDs like your driver’s license, and any other documents that could be used to identify you, and head over to your local Social Security office. They can get your address changed and make sure you get a new card. Thanks for your comment!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.