After You Qualify: Who Will Handle Your Monthly Benefits?

This week we have discussed the difficulties applicants for Social Security disability benefits can face if they abuse (or even use) alcohol or other substances. In some cases, applicants may be recovering from a history or substance abuse, or their disability may be mental or psychological.

For successful disability benefits applicants, the Social Security Administration (SSA) provides additional help for people whose disabilities might make it difficult or impossible to manage their finances. This includes children with disabilities, but is often for people whose disabilities have affected them mentally, whether through illness or injury.

In these cases, the SSA will appoint a “representative payee” to the recipient. The representative payee is entrusted to care for the recipient’s needs with the monthly disability benefits. This often means:

  • Ensuring that the disabled person has food and shelter
  • Providing needed medical care
  • Fulfill the recipient’s daily needs, physically and mentally
  • Depositing any leftover money into a bank account

Often the representative payee is a member of the recipient’s family, such as a spouse. If no relative or close friend is available, the SSA may appoint a third party representative.

If you have questions about applying for Social Security benefits, contact a Tulsa Social Security disability lawyer for more information about qualifying, applying and managing benefits. We also offer free consultations, and you can reach us by phone at (918) 587-0050.

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *